Golden Bay Activities
Collingwood is in the heart of magnificent unspoiled walking country, with wild west coast beaches, and abundant bird life.
Golden Bay activities are a plenty in Golden Bay. It also boasts an interesting mining and farming history. It is further enriched by a varied artistic community and unique and intriguing eateries. There are plenty of great walks and sites to enjoy.
Golden Bay Activities
- Farewell Spit Eco tours The biggest attraction in Golden Bay. Guided 4WD tours of Farewell Spit – a bird sanctuary and wetland of international importance. .
- The HeaphyTrack Considered to be the greatest of nine great walks in NZ
- Salisbury Falls A secret little swimming hole right under the falls, A must for the family, very safe and very fun. For anyone who loves to skim stones across clam water this is a skimmers paradise with thousands of perfect skimming stones.
- Wharariki Beach Walk. Explore the rugged west coast beach, find seals, caves, sanddunes rough seas and maybe even a little breeze.
- Golden Bay Kayak rentals. Sea kayaking in Abel Tasman National Park.
- Kaituna Forks Track A 2 hour return trip through wonderful native bush near The Naked Possum Cafe.
- Milnthorpe Park A recreational walking track with with marked trials through plantings of native and exotic species to the beach.
- Rameka Track Voted by Kiwis as one of the 101 Must Do activities in New Zealand, its’s an old classic that combines some spectacular terrain with stunning views of the Abel Tasman National Park – it’s an absolute must-do if you’re in the Golden Bay area.
- Waikorupupu Hydro walk One of the Bay’s best half-day walks. It retraces an old gold mining water race.
- Kaihoka lakes The coastal hills form a dramatic backdrop to these 2 beautiful lakes. A causal 20 minute return walk through enchanting coastal broadleaf forest will take you between these the 2 lakes. There is space to picnic at the car park and further along the road next to the lake. An awesome place for a swim during the hot summer months.
- The Grove Scenic Reserve. A 10 minute walking track which winds through the narrow canyons in the limestone ending up at a drammtic lookout.
- Cobb Valley One of the most interesting regions for naturalists and hikers with its remarkable bush and mountain scenery, impressive botany and geology. Nowhere else in New Zealand has such a complex series of ancient rocks been eroded into such different landscapes.
- Westhaven Inlet It doesn’t matter if the tide is in or out, the estuary has a natural beauty. Combined with coastal forest and tidal channels, Westhaven Inlet is full of unique and breathtaking scenery. Those interested in a relaxing day can take a drive along the estuary, find a picnic spot and potter around the edge of the sand flats. Its also a great spot for kayaking and birdwatchers will love it here too.
- Escape Adventures. Your one stop for all mountain-biking needs in Golden Bay. They do guided Trips, bike & freeload rack hire, transport and the always handy vehicle relocation.
- Kahurangi Guided Walks provides a quality guided tramping experience for those who really want to enjoy New Zealand’s great walks. Be educated, enspired and awestruck when you trek with us
- NZ Trout Adventures. Spectacular scenery, crystal clear waters and a good population of Brown Trout awaits.
- Anatoki Salmon Fishing. A great fun day for all to have, catch your own tasty salmon and have it prepared ready to eat on the spot.
- Cape Farewell Horse Treks. Ride stunning beaches, winding trails across hills and view magnificent West Coast scenery.
- Collingwood Museum. Take a stroll down memory lane. Everything from early development of the district, school, coal and gold rush days and more…
- Rockville Machinery and Settlers Museum. Steaming traction and stationary engine displays, trucks, tractor and balers and plenty of other historical farm machinery.
- Aorere Centre Collingwood. Discover western Golden Bays rich history.
- Langford Store. A living museum only15 minutes inland from Collingwood towards the Heaphy Track serving coffee, tea, sweet treats, with treasures on the shelves for all. Open since 1928.
- Wainui Falls. A beautiful 40-minute bush walk with a swing bridge. The track follows the river and you enter some real NZ bush.
- Scenic Flights. Come fly with Mit. Scenic flights around Golden Bay starting at just $40.
- Puponga Farm Park. Various walking tracks of Puponga Farm Park you can explore Wharariki Beach, Cape Farewell and Fossil Point.
- Bencarri Nature Park & Cafe. Licensed café, set in beautiful gardens. See and feed the historic Anatoki eels Eel Museum with audio-visual display.
- Labyrinth Rocks. Nature has produced a maze-like network of canyons through a limestone outcrop
- PuPu Springs. A short 30 min loop walk to NZ’s largest freshwater springs and home to the clearest spring water in the world.